This vinyl sticker will ensure that it does not fall off the cupboard and all are aware of potential dangers storage
The centre will protect child centre staff, children, families and visitors from the risks associated with chemical products, medicines, other dangerous substances and dangerous equipment used in the centre and environs.
Accidental poisoning is the second most common hospital admission for child injuries in Australia, and 75% of accidental poisonings are attributed to medications. The most common accidental poisonings involve respiratory and cough medications, antihistamines, paracetamol, iron tablets, benzodiazepines, and eucalyptus and other vapouriser oils. Other main agents of poisoning in children are household chemicals, especially pesticides including snail bait and mothballs, bleach and other cleaners, detergents, solvents, petroleum and kerosene and cosmetics. Many of these chemical products are routinely used in children’s centres and are potentially hazardous, either by ingestion, inhalation or skin contact. Pesticides and volatile chemicals such as solvents are easily inhaled. Information on chemical products can be obtained from manufacturers on Material Safety Data Sheets that provide information on chemical toxicity, health effects, safe handling and storage, and first aid instructions.
Services should ensure that if the original container for hazardous substances does not have a child resistant lid, the container is kept in a locked place, which is secure and inaccessible to children.